Addressing key gaps in understanding to improve controls against avian influenza infections in poultry
- Is the immune response of chickens and ducks induced by vaccination to H5N1 in Vietnam and H9N2 in Pakistan able to recognise currently circulating field viruses?
- Can the development of new and improved AI vaccines improve disease protection in poultry and reduce production-related losses?
- Can new pen-side diagnostics able to detect and differentiate AIV subtypes serve as an adjunct to vaccination and act as early warning systems?
- What are the barriers and obstacles to adoption of new veterinary vaccines and diagnostics? How do these relate to the shift from smallholder backyard production to more modern intensified production systems?
- What are the long-term impacts of improved interventions on the livelihood of poor farmers, food security and reduction of virus prevalence in the environment?